Business Videos: How Long Should Your Video Be?
As a video hosting company we see a lot of different types of video content being distributed online.
From one minute in length to an over an hour, your video can be uploaded to vzaar. We took a look through our numbers from the past year to try and answer the question…
“How long should my video be?”
Answer: Keep it snappy
- 24% of business videos online are less than 1 minute long
- Videos less than 10 minutes long accounted for 78% of online business videos
For business videos, it appears that short is most definitely sweet.
Perhaps because a lot of them are promotional in nature.
Short promotional videos work well because…
- People have short attention spans.Studies have shown that our attention spans are getting smaller and smaller. Down from 12 minutes just a few years ago to 5 minutes. In the digital age information is at our fingertips like never before. The easy access to information means people are less willing to hang around and wait to hear what you’ve got to say.
- People are busy. If they see your video is a long one they might not be willing to invest the time it takes to watch it.
- Often, it can be hard to see the clutter until you actively try and cut it. Giving yourself a time limit will help you to sort the wheat from the chafe; encouraging you to convey the important information clearly and concisely. The result? Your video will feel snappier and more engaging.
Do longer form videos have a place?
Just because the data tells us that the average video length is under 10 minutes, doesn’t mean that long form content is completely ruled out.
It all goes back to understanding the type of content your audience are looking for and what video length they’re most likely to respond to.
For example, educational content like training videos, online lessons and webinars can all work well. Here the viewer is getting a lot of value from the content and it is therefore more worth their while to stay in it for the long haul.
Bear in mind though, that it is typically reported that the maximum attention span of the average adult is 20 minutes. Once you go beyond that point you might have a hard time getting the viewer to stick around.
And this was mirrored in our data, with a sharp dip in the number of business videos that go over 15 minutes in length.
So, back to the original question:
How long should your video be?
Well, for promotional videos the shorter the better, around the 1 minute mark is best.
For education and training videos go for under 15 minutes to ensure your students maintain their focus. If your lessons are typically longer than this try breaking them into smaller, more digestible chunks.
Arnold Schwarzenegger is not the only fan of YouTube Capture: The app is now used for a third of all YouTube uploads from iOS devices. That’s why YouTube added some updates.
YouTube just released version 2.0 of its iOS Capture app, and the update adds simple editing features to the app, including the ability to trim clips and combine multiple clips to a single video. Capture also now taps into YouTube’s catalog of licensed music to make it easier to add a soundtrack that won’t get your video blocked on the site.
YouTube released Capture as a simple video recording and uploading app for iOS in December of 2012, and the app has apparently filled a void: A third of all videos uploaded from iOS now come from Capture, according to a blog post published on YouTube’s Creators blog. Capture also has a number of famous fans, including Arnold Schwarzenegger, who recently used the app to film himself reciting some of his most famous movie quotes on request of Reddit users.
Storytelling is making a comeback for employee engagement thanks to the ever-increasing amount of online video within corporations. This is because employees need engaging information in which they can believe. Needless to say, stories help create meaning, and videos tell stories better than almost any other medium available.
View original post 343 more words